How to Clean a Whirlpool Bathtub
How to clean a whirlpool type bathtub is one of the most common questions we get regarding bathtub maintenance. If you have ever prepared to take a whirlpool and come to find small brown and black flakes in your tub after the whirlpool motor is engaged you are overdue for a bathtub cleaning. These particles are bits of mildew and other bacteria that need to be taken care of on a fairly routine basis. Luckily the steps below make it easy to understand and perform the proper cleaning method on your bathtub throughout its life.
- Fill your bathtub with hot water approximately 3 inches above the highest jet location
- Add approx 1/2 cup of bleach and 2 table spoons of powdered dishwashing detergent (Cascade Complete works well)
- Run the whirlpool jets for approx 10 minutes with the air control fully released for maximum turbulence
- Shut off whirlpool jets and wait for tub to drain - you will notice less debris each time if you clean your tub regularly
- Refill bathtub with cold water to same level approximately 3 inches above the highest jet location
- Run jets again for approximately 10 minutes
- Drain entirely and enjoy a clean bathing experience
We recommend that you clean your tub regularly based off the amount of use it gets. For avid whirlpool bathers we suggest cleaning your tub every month. For less frequent users we recommend cleaning your tub once a quarter (4 times per year) to maintain a desireable cleanliness. There are also specialty cleaners available for purchase at most plumbing supply stores. Results are typically guaranteed, but with their convenience generally comes a more expensive cost than the above steps.